Once a month, we provide updates from the field as staffers work alongside our amazing allies and activists to create a more just and equitable media system.
- Co-CEO Jessica González and Free Press board member Joan Donovan participated in a webinar exploring how federal policy can combat the spread of misinformation and disinformation online.
- News Voices: New Jersey Manager Vanessa Maria Graber hosted a bilingual workshop for Latinx journalists in collaboration with the Center for Cooperative Media.
- Vanessa Maria also presented at the National Federation of Community Broadcasters Conference. She led her session, “Launching a Community News Effort: Doing a Lot with a Little,” alongside Gavin Dahl and Yuko Kodama.
The ongoing video series Free Press Live featured a host of wide-ranging conversations, with Vanessa Maria and Vice President for Cultural Strategy Collette Watson alternating as hosts:
- Vanessa Maria spoke with Associate Director of Broadband Policy Dana Floberg and Campaign Manager Heather Franklin about the Accessible, Affordable Internet for All Act and other measures designed to make high-speed internet affordable.
- Collette talked to Bianca Nozaki-Nasser of the advocacy group 18 Million Rising about the media’s coverage of anti-Asian hate and violence. Nozaki-Nasser discussed how her organization is showcasing narratives about police abolition through its “Fertile Ground” project.
- Generation Justice is a New Mexico-based multiracial and multicultural project that trains youth to use media and digital tools to organize and move people to action. Collette spoke with the group’s founder and director, Roberta Rael, and three interns about their research on the impacts of disinformation about critical race theory and other topics.